This briefing paper provides an overview of recent planning policy news and recent/emerging consultations or changes within the Central London boroughs, as well as updates from the Mayor of London.
Headlines from Q4 2023:
- The Government published a series of policy updates in December 2023, which included an updated NPPF. This was accompanied by a response to the Levelling-up and Regeneration Bill consultation and updates to the PPG on the Green Belt. It also published a letter to the Mayor of London on Housebuilding In London, setting out the underperformance of housing delivery in London, which is “desperately needed”. Michael Gove includes the line “If you cannot do what is needed to deliver the homes that London needs, I will.”
- The GLA commenced consultation with a series of new planning guidance in Q4 2023, including student accommodation, digital infrastructure and industrial land.
- Islington adopted its new Local Plan, including the Strategic and Development Management Policies, Site Allocations and Bunhill and Clerkenwell Area Action Plan. This replaces the previous Local Plan documents.
- Tower Hamlets released its Regulation 18 version of its new Local Plan for consultation, which includes many new and updated draft policies.
- Although the Wandsworth Local Plan (2023-2038) was adopted on 19 July 2023, consultation has already commenced on a partial review of the plan to update its policies relating to affordable housing, including the introduction of a ‘small-sites’ affordable housing policy.
- The City of London confirmed its timetable for the preparation of its new City Plan, commencing with consultation in Spring/Summer 2024 and adoption planned for the following year.
- Westminster released a draft of its Retrofit First policy as part of informal workshop sessions. The Reg 19 stage of the Partial Review is due to commence in early 2024.
A full update is attached below. Should you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact our Central London planning team.