This briefing paper provides an overview of recent planning policy news and recent/emerging consultations or changes within the Central London boroughs, as well as updates from the Mayor of London.
Headlines from Q3 2023:
- The Government is delaying the introduction of Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG), which was to form a mandatory requirement of the planning system in England in November 2023. It is now anticipated to be introduced in January 2024.
- The Wandsworth Local Plan (2023-2038) was adopted on 19 July 2023.
- Islington’s Local Plan is scheduled for adoption very shortly, following the Full Council sign-off on the final plan on 28 September 2023. This is due to replace the existing development plan.
- The hearing sessions for Kensington and Chelsea’s Examination of its New Local Plan Review concluded in July 2023, with Main Modifications uploaded in September 2023.
- Westminster consulted upon its Draft Planning Obligations and Affordable Housing SPD, which sets out the intended approach to seeking planning obligations, including on affordable housing, affordable workspace and carbon offsetting.
- The NPPF was amended on 5 September 2023 to update policy on offshore wind development – therefore not affecting London.
A full update is attached below. Should you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact our Central London planning team.