Our quarterly update on planning policy news and recent/emerging consultations or changes within the Central London boroughs, as well as updates from the Mayor of London.
Headlines from Q1 2023:
- The Mayor adopted a number of new London Planning Guidance documents and provided a mandate for second staircases in all new residential buildings above 30 metres.
- Early consultation commenced on new Local Plan reviews in Camden, Lambeth and Tower Hamlets, and we can expect the next stages of the draft plans to be consulted upon later in 2023.
- Islington’s draft Local Plan is at the most advanced stage of the Central London borough’s draft plans. Examination concluded in 2021, and modifications are continuing into 2023.
- Following last year’s Article 4 Direction modifications by the Government, the Chief Planner, Joanna Averley, stepped in to modify Camden’s proposed Article 4 direction, expanding the area available to utilise Class MA permitted development rights (commercial to residential).
- Consultation also closed on the reforms to national planning policy as part of the Levelling-up and Regeneration Bill, including planned revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework.
A full update is attached below. Should you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact the Central London planning team.